What is jQuery?
- Adds interactivity to websites
- DOM manipulation (DOM = Document Object Model) – the structure of objects on your webpage
A web page is made of three main languages – HTML / CSS / JS. Good example using google.co.nz showing HTML only page, then with CSS then JS.
Workshop Mission: Fun with jQuery
Neocities: Getting online fast
What is this thing anyway?
- Can be used to modify a single element
- Or to modify a whole lot of elements in the same way
- A plugin is a pre-written piece of functionality.
- Plugins need to be included in your site and then initialised.
- Use a plugin to create a slideshow
- Use a plugin to create an image gallery
- Write some code to import images from Flickr
- Allows you to add a dynamically-resized, slideshow-capable background image to any page or element.
- Popup image gallery
- Provides a simple way to create a gallery with both thumbnails and full-view images.
- Pulling in themed images
- Flickr Public API
Flickr provides a way to search their images from code.
- This means we can get a list of information about a set of images automatically.
- The API we will be using is the public feed found here.
- API = Application Programme Interface (a way to get data in and out of an application)
- Many APIs offered by web applications use JSON as a way of transferring data.
My site – http://schuknight.neocities.org/