Australia, the UK, and other countries now have computer science in their curricula from Year 1, and the NZ government have recently recommended reviewing the positioning and content of digital technology within the New Zealand Curriculum in the “Nation of Curious Minds” report. Should programming be taught in our primary schools? In this session we will look at the benefits and challenges of teaching computer science and programming prior to year 11, including opportunities already available through CodeClub Aotearoa.
Starting CS & programming young – Caitlin Duncan (link to presentation)
- can put students off if learning experience is negative
- curriculum is very full!!
- increase interest in the subject – more doing NCEA
- get in before stereotypes close doors
- assist future learning
- Learning Aims
- Students – enjoy, engage/ basic understanding of what CS & programming is / computational thinking skills – very important
- Teachers – integrate / confidence
- How do we achieve this?
- Computer Science – CS Unplugged, what topics
- Programming – how to teach, why to teach, combining with other subject, how do I do it, WHAT IS IT?!
Should your 8 year old learn coding?